TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) is a strong cleaning agent that can do wonders in terms of cleaning grease, paint spots, and mildew stains effectively from concrete surface. Be it the basement floor, patio, or driveway tsp concrete cleaner is equally effective.
Why tsp cleaner concrete?
The best thing about TSP is that it is alkaline and so it won’t harm the concrete surface. Moreover, the application is pretty safe and simple. You won’t have to be feared off skin irritation and burns.
But you already know that right? So, in our today’s read we’ll delve in how to clean concrete with TSP – the right way? Yes, the right way.
A lot of homeowners know the following way to clean concrete with tsp:
Take 2 tablespoon of TSP and dilute it with one gallon of warm water. Use this agent as cleaner with brush or a mop. For stubborn stains use stiff scrub brush, floor scrubber or floor buffing machine. Make sure to thoroughly apply the mixture onto concrete surface and let it sit for 15 minutes before scrubbing.
But it’s not that simple and easy. So, we’ve got the exact steps that you can follow to have the best results out of it.
So, let’s get started:
Trisodium phosphate to clean concrete
Stains on concrete can be too much annoying. But apart from aesthetic glitch, it can also deteriorate the life of the component. In the long run, such stains can affect the durability and serviceability of the concrete.
Some of the common ways to treat dirty or stained concrete include:
- Using regular detergents
- Vinegar or baking soda
- Pressure washing
- Lemon juice
But among all; there’re some pitfalls that make the process complex and sometimes useless. Here’re some pitfalls that are quite obvious:
- Using regular detergents – detergents or bleach can be toxic especially to plants.
- Vinegar or baking soda – wont’ work for stubborn or deep stains
- Bleach – can be toxic and damaging for plant or grass
- Pressure washing – require pro help and complex process
- Lemon juice – not too good for tough stains
- Acid – effective but dangerous – the process is difficult
Now if you compare TSP concrete cleaners with above methods; you can enlist number of pros.
- Inexpensive – You won’t need to invest in some expensive cleaning agents. It is pretty affordable option to deal heavy-duty grease, film, and dirt stains.
- Water soluble – It can be easily mixed with hot water and so the process is simple and straightforward.
- Effective – It can be used for variety of stains like soot, dirt, grease, and other nasty messes.
- Easily available – The product is readily available in home improvement stores.
Grease and oil stains can be damaging for concrete in the long-run. Most of the greasy products contain sulfur that can seeps into the concrete. Once in there, it can combine with moisture to create acids. These acids can destabilize the concrete matrix. So, it is best that you quickly get rid of grease or oil stains.
- Just take a mixture of cup of TSP with a gallon of water.
- Pour the mixture onto the grease stain
- Let it sit for approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
- Now scrub the Bristol brush for few minutes in circular motion.
- Thoroughly rinse with clean water.
- Repeat the process, as needed.
Dirt is not always an annoying thing for concrete surface. But in poorly finished concrete surfaces, the dirt can get hold onto the pores causing trouble for homeowners. So, it is always best to get rid of dirt using TSP cleaning agent.
Smoke and soot stains are quite common in areas where you’re cooking like in patios or outdoor kitchens. These stains not just deteriorate the appearance but can also be damaging for the concrete matrix. Unlike acidic cleaning agents, TSP can be an effective and easy solution.
Rust stains are the most annoying of all the stains. But they’re common in patios because of the metal future or other fixtures. Rust stains require repeated use of TSP as they sometimes have some deep roots into the surface. You can also combine the use of TSP with pressure washing to have best results overall.
Use with pressure washer
Try to use pressure-washer that comes with adjustable pressure washers. The ideal pressure for cleaning concrete is 3000 PSI but obviously you can lower it a bit to avoid damaging the concrete surface. You can safely use TSP with pressure washing. It works similar like the use of dish soap, detergent, bleach, or other degreasing agents.